We're currently experiencing technical difficulties...

Let's face it-- as great a technology can be to assist with delivering training, it can be disastrous when the tech doesn't work.

Picture this:  Your employer is sending you to a conference in another state. You’re scheduled to attend several important training sessions. You're eager and ready to learn, planning to take notes and report back to your teammates when you return to work in a few days. It’s your first session, and you make it to the conference room, find your seat, and it's time to start! The speaker makes their way to the podium, begins their introduction, turns on the projector, and….

Well, they’re trying again to turn on the projector, and….
They cannot get the projector on, but they’re calling for reinforcements.

Meanwhile, you're tuning out. Half the room is checking e-mail, the other half is on Facebook. By the time the session starts, it's too late. The presenter has already lost the audience, and it's going to be an uphill battle to get them back.

I’ve been there before, both as an attendee, and as a trainer. On many occasions, I’ve seen dead microphone batteries, slow Internet connections, polls that don’t work, apps that won’t load, whiteboards that won't save, webinars that won't connect, and presenters can't remember where the PowerPoint is saved. And, one of my personal favorites: someone puts their phone on hold during a business conference call, and everyone else gets to "enjoy" their company's hold music until they come back.

Side note—I wrote the above part of this blog post last night, and two of the items I mentioned happened (again) this morning. Tech problem happen to the best of us!

So, what can you do to avoid putting yourself in a predicament like those mentioned above? And, how do you bounce back when tech problems inevitably happen?

A few suggestions:

1.   Get to the presentation or training early. I recommend getting to the training location no less than 15 minutes early, but plan for more if it’s an unfamiliar location, or you’re using a new form of technology.
2.   Test your systems. This is especially important if you’re using a new form of tech. Be sure to test in the location where you’ll actually be presenting.
3.   Have a back-up plan. This might mean written notes for you to follow, or handouts for your attendees. Can your presentation be conducted tech-free, if needed? Or, is there another way to use your tech? (I.e. switch conference rooms, change the webinar software, present from your laptop, etc.)
4.   Try to keep the class engaged while you get your tech up and running. Start introductions, ask a few discovery questions, or provide an overview of what the training will accomplish.
5.   If you can’t figure out the problem quickly, ask for help! Allow an expert to resolve the technical issues while you start the session.

It’s not a matter of if you’ll encounter technical difficulties-- it’s a mater of when. Don’t be too hard on yourself; you’re in good company (mine!). Tech problems will happen, but if you prepare accordingly and have a back-up plan, you can bounce back!

Good luck out there!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla,

    Your topic can't be further from the truth. I had an experience where I was teaching a class that depended on PowerPoint. I did some of the suggestions that you had provided. My presentation was flawless, I practice at home and I even practice it right before the class started... but of course... it crashed during the actual class time. It was the one time I did not have a back up plan.

    if you depend on technology too much it will be your every demise. So I do like the self evaluating question: Can I present without technology if I need to?

    -Lance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lance, thanks for reading! (Ok, we're in the same group, so you kind of have to, but I still appreciate it.) I have to admit, I'm not always perfect at following my own advice, but I do my best. Most of the material I train on is pretty well ingrained in my mind, so I usually can make do without tech, but it's definitely not as engaging.

      Delete
  3. Kayla,

    I think we all in one way or another have experienced this, whether you are sitting in the audience or you are the one experiencing the technical difficulties. Either way the experience can be horrible. I think the worst part of all is when the anxiety kicks into high gear. Everyone is staring at you waiting for it to be fixed, wishing they were anywhere but there.

    The steps you suggest are great. We all know technology is going to fail and fail again, and it always seems to do it at the most inconvenient times. Being able to adapt when things go awry is crucial and you need to have a plan to fall back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayla,
      Just this week in one of my classes the grad students were doing a presentation and their PowerPoint wouldn't work, then the sound wasn't working. They were already nervous and then the technology wouldn't work. They did get it to work but, yes, most of us had checked out and lost interest that fast.

      I like your suggestions and agree completly that it is just a matter of time as to when it will happen to you. Technology is great but not perfect. Coming from a background in cell phone sales, I've had to explain this fact daily!

      Delete
    2. Kaitlin, you are so right about the anxiety! As if presenting in front of a group wasn't stressful already!

      Delete
    3. Elizabeth, thanks for reading! I feel bad for those grad students! Hopefully they recovered ok.

      Delete
    4. Kayla,
      There is nothing so aggravating as not having your technology work! It is such a helpless feeling sometimes, especially if your are presenting in an unfamiliar place or to a new crowd.
      I have had that very thing happen in my classroom. I teach adults, and it is very difficult to get their attention back to where it needs to be. One thing that helps me is, once you are able to achieve technological success, is to make a greater effort to set a good mood for the rest of the presentation, and not let the technobombing ruin the rest of your presentation. Just relax and run with it from that point on!
      Thank you for the suggestions! The key is definitely allowing yourself extra time and double-check everything!

      Delete
  4. These are some great suggestions Kayla. I particularly like the one about keeping the class engaged while you sort out your technical difficulties. I find that while everyone is understanding of technical difficulties, adding a little banter or humor never hurts. I deal with technical difficulties every day in my job, and I find that if I'm easygoing and lighthearted it can make even a stressful situation a lot better for my coworkers and customers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Tech4Training

I've been selfish.

Quizlet- another fun learning tool!